St. James Timeline
1824 -- parish organized and admitted to the Convention. Met in parishioners’ homes until 1836.
1836 -- small frame building with a modest bell tower was constructed on the present lot.
1866 -- the cornerstone of the present church building, of Victorian gothic architecture, was laid. The beautiful stained glass windows were installed from 1886 to 1970.
1887-88 -- the Victorian style chapel was built, originally intended as worship space for the parish’s children. It has been renovated several times, most recently in the mid 1980’s.
1892 -- the Choir of Men and Boys was organized by J. Powell Jones, a local professor of music. This choir had great renown for many decades. It continued until the 1966, when a mixed choir replaced it, and experienced a brief renaissance in the mid 1980’s alongside the other choirs.
1926 -- the E. M. Skinner pipe organ was installed.
1941-1966 -- during the long tenure of the Right Reverend Dayton Wright as rector, the church more than tripled its membership numbers, and mentored two mission churches into the diocese.
1958 -- the two storey education/classroom wing was added, connecting the church with the chapel and including offices, Guild Room, library, and nursery.
1983 -- Lunch Program began, to serve Salvation Army clients on weekends.
1986 -- chapel was renovated, air conditioning installed. Now used primarily for summer worship services.
2003 -- St. James named a Jubilee Ministry Center by the National Episcopal Church, for its Lunch Program ministry.
2009-2010 -- E.M Skinner organ undergoes restoration.